Hi (and happy easter to everyone)!
I've been evaluating 4coder for a while now, making it my main editor so I can see if it fits my needs. On the whole I'm really pleased with it but I just have some queries before I take the plunge and buy the full version.
Before I get to it let me state that I don't write too much C/C++ for my personal projects - this is mostly restricted to work. Also I'm using 4coder version alpha 4.0.25.
1. When I edit plain text files in 4coder (actually they're Basic files but it doesn't matter) I do notice some weird formatting problems. Here's a snippet of code rendered in vim:
and here's the same in 4coder:
the code is formatted using tabs instead of spaces. I did try to find some keybinding or setting but I wasn't successful. Did I miss something?
2. Is it possible to insert spaces when hitting tab instead of a tab?
3. I do understand the concept behind the customisation layer and I think it's a great idea. However I'm usually more into using editors and/or using someone else's solutions or plugins than doing the work myself. I've been monitoring the forum and I've seen quite a few people sharing their customisations. My question then is: is there a list of the customisations available? "repository" probably sounds complicated but even some maintained list would be fine!
4. As I said at the beginning I'm not too much into C/C++ - I'm mostly writing code in assembly (68k) or basic. Is syntax highlighting an internal part of 4coder still or can more syntax modules be added using the customisation layer?
5. The shortcuts and functions used to find text are quite nice and suit me well. However something I'm missing from other editors is the ability to highlight all found instances, preferably even after I exit search. Is such a thing available or in the pipeline?
6. Another feature I'm missing is the ability to extend the cursor vertically and type in all selected lines, or rectangle select and then copy or delete the selection. Is this something feasible in 4coder?
7. Finally (sorry!), is there a way for the scratchpad to survive closing and reopening 4coder? It would be great if I could use it as something I can scribble a quick note without having the hassle of creating a new file, saving it and then forgetting its existence!
Sorry for the long post (and my first one on this forum at that)! Looking forward to your reply!