Register
4coder»Forums»How to build/compile inside 4coder?
Tyler
4 posts

Roguelike enthusiast, gamedev wannabe. c, c++ and python programmer currently.

How to build/compile inside 4coder?
2 months, 4 weeks ago Edited by Tyler on Aug. 19, 2019, 6:19 a.m.
Sorry i feel like this is a stupid question, but i cant get my project to build in 4coder no matter how i go about it.
watching Allen's tutorial videos i copied everything i could and never got it to work, maybe i made a dumb mistake im not seeing i'm not really sure.

i can compile from command line just fine and can compile inside visual studios just fine. i think i have my paths set up right also.

i keep getting the error
"Ending file: *compilation*
ERROR: Failed to make the cli call"

it doesn't seem to make any difference if i have a batch file it runs set up to run vcvarsall or if i open 4coder in a terminal that already ran that, i get this error no matter what.

anyways, i love 4coder and having to use other editors in the mean time sucks so i hope someone can help me out here :)

https://imgur.com/a/0F1IJ8h (My main.cpp and project.4coder files)

i haven't wrote c in around 3 years also, so apologies if i just made a super dumb mistake.

(if you need any more info i'll be happy to provide it.)
Simon Anciaux
680 posts
2 months, 4 weeks ago
You have a "*" in load_path_win but there shouldn't be one.
load_path_win = {
    { "." }
};

But I'm not sure that's the issue. The problem might be that you're not executing from the right path. Try to use an absolute path in you build command (e.g. W:\project\build.bat ) to see if it's a path related issue.
Tyler
4 posts

2 months, 3 weeks ago Edited by Tyler on Aug. 19, 2019, 7:33 p.m.
I appreciate the help mrmixer!

Thanks for the heads up with the *, but yeah it wasn't the issue.

I tried doing the absolute path and that also didn't work.
I feel like 4coder isn't even reading/running my bat file.

edit: What should my bat for this look like? everything i found online I've tried and of course they work just fine when i run them outside of 4coder, but nothing works from inside it.

I feel like Allen or someone should make a better more updated tutorial on how to get going in 4coder, i can't be the only idiot that can't figure it out!
Simon Anciaux
680 posts
2 months, 3 weeks ago
build.bat can contain whatever you want. For a simple test you could just have:
@echo off
echo Hello Dave.

Which would just print "Hello Dave." when you call it.

Does the *messages* buffer contain errors when you load the project file ? Does it open the source files ?

Could you post a zip of the folder so I could try it on my machine (or post all the files here) ?
John
22 posts
2 months, 3 weeks ago
It could also be a permission issue. If you have set cmd to always run as admin while 4coder runs normally, I believe it wouldn't be able to call cmd, due to having a lower privilege.
Tyler
4 posts

2 months, 3 weeks ago
Sorry for the late reply.

hope dropbox is ok, if not i can send it in another way if you would prefer. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwm45mubazn49yu/tests.7z?dl=0

It could also be a permission issue. If you have set cmd to always run as admin while 4coder runs normally, I believe it wouldn't be able to call cmd, due to having a lower privilege.

cmd isnt set to always be admin on my machine. (also i have it set up so cmder is my console. (and cmder doesnt run admin by default)
Simon Anciaux
680 posts
2 months, 3 weeks ago
It's working on my machine (build.bat is executed, but vcvarsall.bat is not in the path for me so the script contains errors). So I don't know what the problem is for you.

Is your project in a path that contains spaces or special characters ( parenthesis, diacritics... ) ? Could you try in a simple path like "C:\tests" if it's not the case ?

Otherwise your best bet would be to contact Allen by e-mail (the address is in the *messages* buffer) or twitter.
Tyler
4 posts

2 months, 3 weeks ago Edited by Tyler on Aug. 21, 2019, 4:45 a.m.
The original path i had it in had a space, but i changed that a couple days ago to one with no spaces.
just now i tried it inside a folder in the 4coder folder, which i keep right in D:\ and im still getting "failed to make the cli call"

I appreciate your help and I've emailed Allen.
Allen Webster
480 posts / 2 projects

Heyo

2 months, 3 weeks ago Edited by Allen Webster on Aug. 24, 2019, 5:16 p.m.
It's hard to say what's going wrong here. As with MrMixer, your test case works just fine for on my machine. The error you are seeing can occur for a number of reasons, but the most likely in my opinion is that something unusual is happening when 4coder tries to launch a child process. One of the string manipulations to get the path and full command line might be running out of memory, they're both given a fixed 2 kilabytes, so it would be surprising but possible. Perhaps there's an unusual configuration that is preventing cmd.exe from being found/running? I don't really know, and I have changed so much of this at this point that there's a good chance that the same bug no longer exists in my current build. For instance, the error you are getting "ERROR: failed to ..." doesn't even exist in the codebase anymore.

I wish I could be more help, but I'm really not sure what's going on here :/