4coder»Forums
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2570 posts / 2 projects
4coder crashing at startup
There is different dll needed for 32-bit version.

this is for 32-bit process: https://download.qt.io/developmen...engl32sw-32-mesa_11_2_2-signed.7z
this is for 64-bit process: https://download.qt.io/developmen...engl32sw-64-mesa_11_2_2-signed.7z
Nick Somefing
14 posts
So I tried both versions of the .dll file with the x64 version and none seem to work. On the other hand the x86 version of 4coder appears to be working with the .dll file be that the x64 or the x86 one. That is really confusing.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2570 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
It does not make sense to try 32-bit dll with x64 4ed.exe binary, or 64-bit dll with x86 4ed.exe binary. Windows will simply ignore that dll and load default one from windows system32 folder.

I don't know why windows is ignoring opengl32.dll binary for you. But it sounds like 32-bit 4ed.exe binary simply does not have this bug and it works with your nvidia opengl binary by default.
Nick Somefing
14 posts
I guess so. It's weird though how I tried both x86 and x64 versions yesterday, extracting both from the zip directly and then running them and none of them worked but now the x86 one is working fine. Could it be a random crash perhaps ?
Simon Anciaux
1342 posts
You didn't forget to rename the dlls to opengl32.dll after extracting them ? Even the 64 bit version needs to be named opengl32.dll.
Nick Somefing
14 posts
I did rename them at all times. I shut down my pc to move it to another room and now none of the two versions of 4coder work. What even is going on.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2570 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
Maybe try running memtest to see if you don't have some generic memory issues - https://www.memtest.org/
Also try cpu stress test, that sometimes makes memory issues to show up too - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Nick Somefing
14 posts
My previous CPU was faulty and when I was trying to figure out if it was either that or the memory I'd ran a memtest for 24 hours straight and it came out with 0 errors which was also the case for more memtests that I performed during that time. My current CPU has also gone through many stress tests from the time that I received it so that I was sure that this one wasn't faulty and it came out to be just fine. My guess would be that it is either Windows being Windows or perhaps the GPU driver.
183 posts / 1 project
CPU reference implementations of OpenGL also have bugs due to the standard's complexity that grew over the many decades. Only half of the behavior is even formally specified, and the rest is left to the hardware vendors' heated arguments about how it should be done. Just have to hope for an internal CPU fallback solution in 4coder, which could be an easy fix if all rendering relies on a few 2D draw calls abstracted on top of OpenGL.
3 posts
I had the same problem. 4Coder kept crashing either at launch or almost immediately after. It used to work perfectly, but after getting a new GPU and updated Nvidia drivers, the problems started appearing.
It looks like switching the opengl32.dll as suggested by mmozeiko, has fixed my problems.
Jay
4 posts
Edited by Jay on
I have the same issue. When using the downloaded version of opengl32.dll that was suggested in this thread makes the application start without crashing for me but won't take input and never draws another screen except the first one. Maximizing or resizing the window for example leaves it black. 4.1.7 worked for me before but started failing after i updated my graphics drivers. 4.1.8 has never worked and 4.1.6 still works.
Simon Anciaux
1342 posts
You should report the issue on github, there is probably already one, but you can relpy with your config (OS, processor, graphics card...) and then try to contact Allen Webster on twitter or discord as they don't come here often (I think).