4coder»Forums
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Non english keyboards
Hi,
I just tried 4coder and it doesn't recognise several keys on my keyboard. I'm using a AZERTY keyboard, it's a French layout keyboard, but it is set in windows (7 64bit) as a Belgian layout (there are small differences):
- Belgian layout
- French layout

The letter keys function as expected (meaning azerty/qwerty as no problem) but diacritic ('é', 'à', 'ç'... ) and characters that requires "Alt Gr" don't work properly for some keys.

E.g. to write a '[' I use "Alt Gr" + "^" but nothing happens in 4coder. But "Alt Gr" + "$" to write ']' works.
Diacritic keys don't print anything.

I tried setting the layout in windows as a French layout and it switches the layout correctly (e.g. the '-' become the '=') but the problem with diacritic and "Alt Gr" characters is still there. I also try the "Ctrl + Alt" option with no changes.

I can work without diacritic, but not being able to write '[' or '{' is a lot harder.

Is there anything I can do to make it work or do I have to wait for a future version ?

Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Non english keyboards
Hi thanks for letting me know about the issue. AltGr was working at one point, but it may be broken in the current version. I will take a look at it and try to make sure it's working in the French layout for the next release. Until then there's probably nothing you can do to make it work.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Non english keyboards
Just to be clear, the layout I'm using is French Belgium (or Belgian, I'm not sure what it's called in English), not French France.

Thanks
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Non english keyboards
Quick update,

Looks like there was a bug handling dead keys because the other layouts I dealt with either did not have dead keys, or the dead keys were not on the same key as important things like '['. Should be better for now.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Non english keyboards
Thanks.

I don't know if you plan to make diacritics ( 'à', 'ç', 'é' ... ) work in the next update, but if not, could you print de default font character (often a square) when a character is not recognised so I can work with a file that contains them even if I can't write them.
Jim R. Didriksen
63 posts
Non english keyboards
(If t/*)That would be UTF-8 multi-character support I can seconds it, I wants my ÆØÅ (and Ü Ä if you're not busy).

I only need them for commenting in my own language if that matters, I don't use them in code since opening a file in the wrong editor will 'f' them up without asking.
8 posts
None
Non english keyboards
I would like to be able to type scandic letters (ö, ä and å). Also, I would like to be able to bind what is typically called tilde key in english keyboards (left of '1' and above tab). It makes '§' character. Is it possible to bind this key now?
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Non english keyboards
I still need to get to utf-8 support. All those missing non-english characters will be supported when I do that.
8 posts
None
Non english keyboards
Mr4thDimention
I still need to get to utf-8 support. All those missing non-english characters will be supported when I do that.

Thank you for all your hard work on 4coder. I use Visual Studio for daily work, but I believe I can switch over if I can get my binds to work. No rush, just good to know that utf-8 support is coming eventually.
8 posts
None
Non english keyboards
Had yet another frustrating day with Visual Studio freezes, which brought me back to try 4coder. Checking the TODO.txt file in 4coder today I saw that unicode buffer mode and support for full length unicode file names are listed there. This seems like a lot of work and it will probably be a while until utf-8 support is ready.

Meanwhile, would it be possible to extend characters that can be used to also cover the extended ASCII characters or is there any workaround using 4coder super to bind for example extended ASCII char 245? This alone would solve all my input problems. I don't need to be able to actually type any of the characters into a buffer.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Non english keyboards
Hmm interesting idea, I could potentially extend the input system without having to mess with buffer representation. Not sure why I didn't think of it myself actually.
Raytio
56 posts / 1 project
Non english keyboards
I am in Japan and yes I second the UTF-8 support is a big time feature.

I want to share how cool 4Coder is with my Japanese co workers but when I open a source code file with Japanese comments
Its just big red text going straight across the screen so they wont accept it and they will just laugh at me.

To be honest this should be your no.1 priority I think.
16 posts
Based in Japan. Building a fully featured music production system with a twist.
Non english keyboards
Edited by Kapsy on
Hey Ray I'm in Japan too! Gimme a shout sometime at shinobinz(at)gmail(dot)com. Apologies for the spam but it seems there's no way to PM on the Handmade Network.

To keep this post on topic, yes I would agree UTF-8 support is needed - alongside OSX support. In my efforts to learn the language I'll often include Japanese comments too.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Non english keyboards
godratio
I am in Japan and yes I second the UTF-8 support is a big time feature.

I want to share how cool 4Coder is with my Japanese co workers but when I open a source code file with Japanese comments
Its just big red text going straight across the screen so they wont accept it and they will just laugh at me.

To be honest this should be your no.1 priority I think.

It is actually my no.2 priority, right after wrangling, organizing, clearing out, and setting up some proper testing for all the existing features.
8 posts
None
Non english keyboards
Edited by doublenibble on
Unicode characters in buffers seem to be working quite well now. Unfortunately I still can't figure out a way to bind any non-ASCII input characters as keys. This works as expected:

bind(context, ',', MDFR_CTRL, change_active_panel);

but this doesn't:

bind(context, '§', MDFR_CTRL, change_active_panel);

Is there any way for me to bind this key? I tried changing my keys to some combinations that I can bind for 4coder, but I just can't get used to the new binds.