4coder»Forums
Petteri Linnakangas
2 posts
None
Fonts not rendering at all
Edited by Petteri Linnakangas on
Hey, I just recently upgraded my machine and now 4coder won't render text anymore. It starts up just fine, but after I move the mouse, it looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkv1pkeo7usechl/4coder-fonts.png

I tried some of the older versions and 4.0.8 works sometimes, until the window is maximized.

I'm running on Windows 7 with Nvidia GTX 1070 and the latest drivers (seems to me like a GPU-related issue with textures or texture coordinates getting messed up). I can help you debug this at some point if you want to, because I really want to use 4coder and can't anymore. :)

Also, I just want to really thank you for the editor. Got used to it pretty quickly and even at an early stage it's much better than anything else, really. Great work, keep it up!
43 posts / 1 project
Wow, huh. Seems like something is off in either FreeType or the OpenGL font rendering, i dont know but im sure Allen will get to the bottom of it. This is one of the reason i hate Nvidia they break OpenGL shit all the time in driver updates.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Woah that's a big issue. I'll get in touch soon so we can work on it.

strangezak
Wow, huh. Seems like something is off in either FreeType or the OpenGL font rendering, i dont know but im sure Allen will get to the bottom of it. This is one of the reason i hate Nvidia they break OpenGL shit all the time in driver updates.

A while back there was an issue where the screen would periodically stop rendering on Nvidia cards but I haven't heard about it in a while so I presume that means I happen to have fixed it at some point... always love when that happens.
Mark
1 posts
Edited by Mark on
Sorry to bump an old thread, But I just started using 4coder and I have the exact same problem. Letters are completely fuzzy and unreadable.

Edit : Version 4.0.11 - Patch
Running Nvidia 1080 gtx
Petteri Linnakangas
2 posts
None
So it would seem that the problem shows up on newer Nvidia cards only. GTX660 had no problems at all.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Okay thanks for the update, I think I have enough information to investigate now. Also, just to be clear, it looks like there are two separate issues.

The issue that SulfurSlab posted to start the thread shows fonts becoming just boxes, as if the textures are not being used at all, and the issue that RootbeerDev is describing is that the fonts are too fuzzy to read. It sounds like two separate issues to me.

RootbeerDev, have you tried turning on hinting by passing a -h flag on the command line?
David Owens II
69 posts
A software engineer that enjoys living in enemy territory.
I can confirm that the fonts are super fuzzy without the -h option for me.

I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. Driver version 373.06. No font or DPI scaling.
Maciej Halber
1 posts
hi

Sorry to bump this, but I thought it might be better than creating a duplicate thread.
I was wondering if this issue was addressed in any way?

I am on Win10, trying to run 4coder 4.0.29 and I am experiencing exactly same issue as SulfurSlab is showing in first
post of this thread? My GPU is 1070Max-Q with NVidia 416.95

Thanks in advance!

Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
I never managed to figure out what this is, I couldn't reproduce it or find a strong enough pattern to form a good theory.

Now I am in a position where I need to reimplement the renderer anyway, with support for multiple different render back-ends, which I plan to do early 2019, and I'm hoping that the issue will just go away with that. The only theory I've got is that using really old school OpenGL just doesn't work in every configuration.
Robert Herman
7 posts
I have the same problem as original poster with boxes. I am running a new Windows 10 machine with an NVIDIA RTX 2060.
I can use it on my other notebook, but this is now my main coding box.
Thanks!
Chris Crew
3 posts
I am also having this issue.

Windows 10
NVIDIA RTX 2080

Was working on my laptop with an NVIDIA 860M.

Hopefully it can be resolved was enjoying using it as my main editor
Ludovic
1 posts
I am having the same issue with an RTX 2070.
Simon Lundmark
1 posts
Edited by Simon Lundmark on
Hi,

I'm also having the issue with fonts switching between not rendering at all and then rendering just boxes. Whenever I'm outside of focus, the font is not rendered at all and when focusing it, it switches between not rendering them and just rendering pretty much boxes.

Is it possible to get some sort of fix for this? I'm open to help out with debugging.

EDIT: Launching 4coder with the -h flag just makes the flickering disappear and so that it always renders boxes as the font. I'm using a RTX 2080.

Thanks,
Simon
Chris Crew
3 posts
I have had this problem since Feb and have been unable to find any fix for this. At the moment I am holding out hope for the next version that may have this corrected.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
All investigation so far indicates that this is probably a driver bug from the fact that old 4coder versions were based on a rather esoteric version of OpenGL (2.1). The beta version has a brand new render back end implemented on OpenGL 3.2 which is a pretty commonly supported version so I am hoping this will help. In addition I don't think it will be long before there will be DirectX and Metal alternatives for the render back end once the beta is ready.

I'm sorry it's been an issue for a while.