4coder»Forums
Jordan Duval
21 posts
"goto_next_error" problems
Edited by Jordan Duval on
Having trouble with the "goto_next_error" utility that was provided in 4coder_default_bindings.cpp. I am compiling just fine but when I try to jump to the first error the main panel screen disappears and the cursor jumps between the errors listed in the "*compilation*" panel. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

See screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/lMadq0s.png

Thanks,
Jordan
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
I'm not sure but I think it's a problem with relative paths.
Since the error message starts with "..\" I suppose 4coder doesn't "understand" the path and opens a new empty buffer with the same name as the file (In your screenshot the file is "CPUBlinky.cpp(33)" so maybe the filename isn't parsed correctly).

What compiler do you use ?
Is it possible in your build system to provide the absolute path to the compiler ?
Jordan Duval
21 posts
I use VS. Also I tried to change all of the relative paths in my build.bat file to absolute paths but that didn't change anything.

I just noticed that in the *messages* buffer, it says that "New in alpha 4.0.9: ... -Experimental new work-flow for building and jumping to errors. This system is only for MSVC in the 'power' version as of 4.0.9" and I am only a super user. Could this be the problem?

Thanks,
Jordan

Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
I'm using the super version too, that feature became available for super user in 4coder 4.0.10.
What looks weird to me is that in my compilation output from visual studio there is an extra space before the first ':' but not in your screenshot. But I'm on VS2012.

Maybe there is a problem because you only use one panel.

Since those features are in the user part of 4 coder you may try to step into goto_next_error and figure out what's happening.

And you should send an e-mail to [email protected] to report the problem.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
I just remembered that there was a "mini update" for goto_next_error for 4.0.10.
From patreon
This also expands the jump location parsing to handle MSVC 2015 style output and supports more options for goto next error/previous error.
Jordan Duval
21 posts
I will email [email protected] the problem. FYI I was actually using 2 panels but I just cropped out the rest of the photo, sorry for that confusion.

Thanks for the help.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
If you haven't solved your problem yet, there is an issue with VS2015 error format because they removed a space. If you go to the file 4coder_jump_parsing.cpp you will see a function called ms_style_verify. That is used to decide if the format is correct. Since I didn't test it on MS2015, it wasn't working. If you change it to the following it will work:

String line_part = substr(line, paren_pos);
    if (match_part(line_part, ") : ")){
        result = true;
    }
    else if (match_part(line_part, "): ")){
        result = true;
    }
Jordan Duval
21 posts
Thank you so much Allen and Simon! It is working now.

Sorry that I didn't notice this was fixed in the one of the newer patches.