4coder»Forums
Michael Cameron
31 posts
First impressions / questions
Mostly seems really good but a few things are bugging me:

1. It always opens messages on startup, was cool the first time, now how do I make it go away?

2. It doesn't remember themes/settings, is there some kind of config file I need to create?

3. No keyboard shortcuts for resizing buffer views/panels? (have to use mouse to drag the divider, strange considering features like mouse suppression that there would be mouse only controls?)

4. Is it possible to put the scrollbar on the left?

5. Is it possible to have focus follows mouse for switching buffer views/panels?

6. Readme says use -W for 'fullscreen' which got me excited but it turned out to be a typo of 'maximize' ='(

Other than that, really liking it so far =) also considering switching to $5/month or $10/month, what kind of extra functionality do they currently offer?

Jordan Duval
21 posts
I don't know all of these, but in regards to question 2 you can make your own 4coder_custom.cpp and just run "buildsuper.bat 4coder_custom.cpp".

For examples on how to write the config file, I would check the 4coder_default_bindings.cpp?
Michael Cameron
31 posts
So is that something I need to be a 'Super user' ($5/month) for then? or is that available to all patrons (if so where do I download those files from, they weren't in the 4.0.10 zip)?
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
You need the "super" version ($5/month) to get access to the customization API. There is a description of what you get on the patreon page. You can do most of what you want with this version.

4. I don't think you can choose where the scrollbars are placed.
6. There is no fullscreen mode, only maximized.

Michael Cameron
31 posts
Thanks for the help, I'll upgrade to the 'super user' version then =) (I guess the regular version is only supposed to be like a demo?)
Andrew Chronister
194 posts / 1 project
Developer, administrator, and style wrangler
chronokun
Thanks for the help, I'll upgrade to the 'super user' version then =) (I guess the regular version is only supposed to be like a demo?)

Regular version is like using an editor without super crazy configuration options, like Notepad++ or something. Supposed to still be useful and eventually more powerful than even some IDEs, but you accept whatever Allen decides are the best keyboard bindings.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'll get this stuff on my TODO list.
Michael Cameron
31 posts
Mr4thDimention
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'll get this stuff on my TODO list.

Cool =)

Now that I've switched to the Super-User version I've got my themes and settings sorted (#2) =D

I'm finding other things like being able to setup the build command super useful too (changed it to use make on Windows) =)
Connor
52 posts
It's been so long ;)
I'm perfectly happy with my $1/Month 4coder! It still makes for a better experience than emacs IMO

- Connor
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Edited by Allen Webster on
chronokun

That's a sweet theme!

Glad you're finding 4coder useful. I'm having trouble judging it objectively for myself.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
If it help you judge, I also find it really useful. Being able to program the editor makes a huge difference to me. Moving the cursor exactly how I want it, modifying how search behaves, adding command history, documentations search... All those things were pretty easy to do and work how I want them to, thanks to you and 4coder.
Michael Cameron
31 posts
hmmm, a couple of things currently puzzling me:

What does the Stag_Pop2 style tag do? I'm guessing it's similar to Stag_Pop1 but I can't seem to find anywhere it is being used?

"open all files" doesn't seem to work? is this a bug from a change to cmdid_interactive_open?
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Stag_Pop2 is currently only used to color the dirty mark that shows up on a file that hasn't been saved.

And yes there is a bug with open all code in the most recent version. It is implemented in 4coder_default_include.cpp and you have access to create_buffer, so I believe you should be able to fix it, but it was so long ago that I fixed it that I may be wrong.
Michael Cameron
31 posts
Edited by Michael Cameron on
Mr4thDimention
Stag_Pop2 is currently only used to color the dirty mark that shows up on a file that hasn't been saved.

And yes there is a bug with open all code in the most recent version. It is implemented in 4coder_default_include.cpp and you have access to create_buffer, so I believe you should be able to fix it, but it was so long ago that I fixed it that I may be wrong.

ah, ok cool, thanks.

Edit: Yep, it was a super easy fix =)
//exec_command(app, cmdid_interactive_open);
app->create_buffer(app, dir.str, dir.size/* length? */, BufferCreate_Background);