4coder»Forums
Doeke
33 posts
None
Multiple Cursors
Hey,

here is a request for multiple cursors.
I really love them in sublime and the jetbrain editors.

Tell me if you love them too.
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Multiple Cursors
I've discussed this with Allen before but it's kind of impossible due the "cursor system" in 4coder. 4coder uses a mark-based system (like emacs) which is incompatible with a selection-based system that Sublime uses.

If 4coder did support the option to change the cursor kind, then it may be possible, but I doubt it will be available any time soon (I'm might be wrong).
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Multiple Cursors
Edited by Allen Webster on Reason: grammar
Giner Bill's analysis is correct. In the current state multi-cursors don't work very well. Eventually I will implement the Subline paradigm with a cursor and a highlighted selection, which does work with multi-cursors. I can't make any promises but I expect to have that done some time during 2017, so keep an eye out for that.
29 posts
I enabled the dark theme.
Multiple Cursors
Edited by drjeats on
What about having multiple marks?

The Emacs package does that. It's janky as hell, but I assume that's more to do with it having to emulate the cursors in Elisp than it being a fundamentally unworkable thing. Also Emacs' redisplay code is all kinds of crazy.

[EDIT] If I think about it, the worst part of multiple-cursors.el is the fact that in you can't scroll without moving the "real" cursor. Does 4coder let you scroll independently of the cursor? I'm not a backer yet (on Mac most of the time), so apologies, just sharing thoughts.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Multiple Cursors
Right now 4coder keeps the cursor and scrolling view together since I'm simulating the emacs paradigm. I'll make that behavior customizable when I go to support other paradigms.
Simon
5 posts
Multiple Cursors
I would also love to see this feature! I am thinking about switching from sublime to 4coder, but multi-cursor is a deal breaker for me, it has become an integral part of my workflow. Are there any updates on this? The latest I could find is from your November Blog Post "4coder November - The Detailed Todo List", in which you say you wanted to do it in November. I guess you didn't finish it in November, unless I skimmed the patchnotes too quickly. Can you put any broad ETA on this, or is it too vague? I guess implementing a completly different style of text editing is not something one does over night.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Multiple Cursors
Edited by Allen Webster on
It hasn't happened yet. At this point the plan is to introduce it with the upgrade to 4.1.0, which is going to be a little while. Maybe later 2018, but possibly longer.
Ruben Osorio
4 posts
Graphics & VFX Working for Rockstar North Opinions my own
Multiple Cursors
Just checking on this. I haven't repurchased 4.1 yet but does it have multiple cursors there? Even if they are not exposed are they usable through the API?

Thanks for your work Allen :)
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Multiple Cursors
I don't think there is any support for multiple cursors at the moment (not sure, but I didn't see anything about that).
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
Multiple Cursors
There aren't multiple cursors nowadays by default, but it is something I was hoping to start getting in there soon—from everything I can tell, the custom layer definitely supports it. The new macro system has made them a little less critical but they are still nice to have, so I'd really like to get them into my custom layer at some point.
Robert Ortner
2 posts
Multiple Cursors
I have implemented a really basic version. I have done the handling of the cursors inside the view input handler hook.
Its pretty buggy still, but it works for basic usecases. Don't know if I will improve it much, because I don't really use it.

But here is a link to it:
GitHub