4coder»Forums
44 posts
CapsLock - rebind
Is it currently possible to rebind the CapsLock key?
For example I am using Casey's custom configuration and I am trying to toggle the edit/entry mode using the CapsLock key.

Thanks in advance!
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
CapsLock - rebind
There is no way to rebind capslock in the 4coder customization.
Aidan
12 posts
CapsLock - rebind
I assume remapping caps lock is harder to do than any of the other keys as Vim doesn't let you remap it either. When I'm using Vim on Windows I use AutoHotKey to map caps lock to esc with this script.

classname = ""
keystate = ""

*Capslock::
  WinGetClass, classname, A
  if (classname = "Vim")
  {
    SetCapsLockState, Off
    Send, {ESC}
  }
  else
  {
    GetKeyState, keystate, CapsLock, T
    if (keystate = "D")
      SetCapsLockState, Off
    else
      SetCapsLockState, On
    return
  }
  return

Its a bit of a bulky solution but you should be able to replace
if (classname = "Vim")
with
 if (classname = "4coder-win32-wndclass")
to get it to work with 4coder. I assume this is a feature Allen is planning to add in the future so something like this wouldn't be needed.
44 posts
CapsLock - rebind
Thanks for the tip. I know a lot of people swap the ctrl and capsLock key on emacs, turns out they are mostly using external programs like you mentioned. AutoHotKey was also mentioned for Windows. I am going to install it and test your script out.
Andrew Reece
51 posts / 4 projects
Maker of things
CapsLock - rebind
Edited by Andrew Reece on
I remapped my caps lock key (along with the rest of my keyboard) with the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, which was ok - you can switch back to normal QWERTY/layout with a button shortcut, or localise changes to individual processes/applications. Getting it set up took some faffing about, but it was quite a while ago now and I don't really remember why.

Lifehacker suggests KeyTweak, for whatever that's worth.