4coder»Forums
Doeke
33 posts
None
Starting 4coder from cmd
For handmade hero I use casey's way of setting things up.
So I start with my cmd shortcut.

From there I can type emacs for example or devenv.

I made a batch file now misc/4coder.bat so I can start 4coder from cmd.
However, if I type emacs or devenv, then I can keep using the commandline. But if I type 4coder, then I can't use the commandline anymore untill I close 4coder.

Is there a way to fix this on my end? Or is this up to Allen to fix?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Starting 4coder from cmd
You could do "start 4coder".
Doeke
33 posts
None
Starting 4coder from cmd
Thanks, that will do for now.

@Allen, it would still be nice to be fixed. Cause the 'start 4coder' solution opens another cmd window, and I prefer to keep my windows to a minimal.
511 posts
Starting 4coder from cmd
clankill3r
Thanks, that will do for now.

@Allen, it would still be nice to be fixed. Cause the 'start 4coder' solution opens another cmd window, and I prefer to keep my windows to a minimal.

You can add the /B switch to suppress creation of the extra command window: 'start /B 4coder'. However it will still pipe the stdout and stderr from 4coder to the current console
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Starting 4coder from cmd
Hmmmmm... I'm not even sure why that is happening. I can launch 4coder with or without start and not have these issues. What version of Windows are you on?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Starting 4coder from cmd
You can also use editbin.exe (from vsvarsall.bat commandline) that can switch between application running as console or gui one:
editbin.exe /subsystem:console my.exe // this will make my.exe to use console and stdin/stdout
editbin.exe /subsystem:windows my.exe // this will make my.exe to not use console at all
60 posts
None
Starting 4coder from cmd
Edited by erpeo93 on
Arrived here for the same reason of the OP.
Finally resolved using the start in combination with the \B param, thank you guys.

Here is my 4.bat file, maybe I can avoid someone the google search on how to use start in .bat files.

@echo off
start "dummytitle" "W:\4coder\4ed.exe" -F \B
(the -F is for the fullscreen).

Leonardo