4coder»Forums
Tomasz Różański
11 posts
Some feature requests
Edited by Tomasz Różański on Reason: removed case-sensitive matching - it's there already
Here's my list after about three weeks of intensive usage.

Building:
  • (option) while traversing compiler errors, if the file is already opened, switch to its view instead opening another copy in the current view;
    Project:
  • (option) automatically load the project files if the project.4coder file is present in the working directory;
  • TODO, NOTE jump list;
  • ability to wrap the comment around the selection;
  • support for customizable Clang-style code formatting;
    Search and replace:
  • clipboard support;
  • word completion;
  • history
  • counter with a total number of matches and number of the currently highlighted match;
  • a command to search/replace a word under the cursor;
  • whole-word-only matching;
    Look and feel:
  • ability to choose theme and font from the command line;
  • automatic switching between day and night theme/font combination depending on the local time;
  • saving opened panels (size, position and content) at program's exit
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Some feature requests
Thanks! This is a really nice list. Some of it is already on my list and the rest will be added, some to a long term plans list, but at least they'll be on there somewhere. I'll update this thread on the next build to let you know which ones I got around to.
Tomasz Różański
11 posts
Some feature requests
I'm happy to provide the feedback. Make sure to check this thread again, cause I have a few new ideas in the back of my head already.
Tomasz Różański
11 posts
Some feature requests
    I've got some more:
  • changing the panel size by keyboard;
  • visible cursor and free cursor movement in find/replace dialogue;
  • relative paths in compilation window for shorter messages;
  • snippets support;
  • an option (or key modifier) to open a jumplist entry in the same panel;
  • panel buffer history for quick back-and-forth switching;
  • embedded terminal;
  • home/end, page up/page down keys support in the files list;
  • a command to jump to the beginning/end of file
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Some feature requests
If you've access to the customization layer you could probably implement most of your requests yourself while waiting for them to be added to 4coder.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Some feature requests
"embedded terminal" has been one of my long term favorites for a while. I've been slowly moving some stuff in that direction for a while.

Thanks for all the thoughts!
Tomasz Różański
11 posts
Some feature requests
mrmixer
If you've access to the customization layer you could probably implement most of your requests yourself while waiting for them to be added to 4coder.

I did some small tweaks already, but I'd rather wait for the full blown documentation before diving any deeper.
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Some feature requests
Rosto
mrmixer

I did some small tweaks already, but I'd rather wait for the full blown documentation before diving any deeper.

Allen has done a pretty good job with naming and making the code clear. You might be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to pick up by simply looking through the code for customization. Also, reading others' custom files can help too
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Some feature requests
CaptainKraft
Rosto
mrmixer

Allen has done a pretty good job with naming and making the code clear. You might be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to pick up by simply looking through the code for customization. Also, reading others' custom files can help too

Yeah I hope what's available is a good start. API lock in is super important so I 100% understand anyone who doesn't want to go down that path before I start doing API lock in. The documentation also misses information about the structure of some systems, and the helpers and default framework are not doc'd at all, which is a problem I am not quite ready to deal with.
Tomasz Różański
11 posts
Some feature requests
CaptainKraft
Rosto
mrmixer

Speaking about other people's custom files: could you point me to some specific places where I could study more of those?
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Some feature requests
Edited by Allen Webster on
I forgot to update this at 4.0.18, but here's where I am on this list as of 4.0.19:

Now Available:
(option) while traversing compiler errors, if the file is already opened, switch to its view instead opening another copy in the current view;
(option) automatically load the project files if the project.4coder file is present in the working directory;
a command to search/replace a word under the cursor; [query replace version, and incremental search version]
an option (or key modifier) to open a jumplist entry in the same panel;

Coming Soon (one or two builds):
TODO, NOTE jump list;
ability to wrap the comment around the selection;
whole-word-only matching;
ability to choose theme and font from the command line;

On the long term todo list for now:
Everything else.