4coder»Forums
John
46 posts
Virtual whitespace has no effect?
Edited by John on
I'm trying out the Windows demo version of 4coder.
Setting enable_virtual_whitespace to true or false doesn't make a difference. I can't position the cursor past the ends of lines.
Is that a feature of the full version only?
8 posts
I have this problem also and i have the paid version. What i do is press Alt+x and search for the command "toggle_virtual_whitespace "
Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
Virtual white space in 4coder don't allow you to position the cursor past the end of line. It's used to let 4coder format the code without inserting actual spaces or tabs in the source files.
John
46 posts
Thanks a lot guys.

@mrmixer I misinterpreted virtual whitespace having the same effect as in Visual Studio, where you're able to position the cursor everywhere. Thanks for clearing things up.

I'm trying to understand however, how could one have multiple indentation styles in the same file.
If I disable the setting and open an existing file, I can move perfectly between tab-spaces with the arrow keys. But if say, I delete 3 tab-spaces, I cannot "add" them back in one-by-one, or even add more than 3. <shift tab> auto-indents 3 tab-spaces again.
I'd like to be able to manually add as many tabs as I wish, If that's possible.
Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
If you enable virtual white space, you can't layout the code manually, 4coder will use it's own rules.

If it's disabled, you can add spaces and tabs as you want. But there is no binding to add a tab character in the default config ("tab" is bound to word complete, "ctrl + tab" is bound to auto indent range, "shift + tab" is bound to auto indent line, and auto indent uses 4coder indentation style). You should be able to add spaces though.

If you edit a text file (.txt) instead of a code file (.c, .h, ...) you can insert tabs just by pressing tab, because the bindings are different between code file and text files.

So you would need the paid version to be able to add a binding for regular tab characters in code files. Maybe you can ask Allen to add some way of adding a tab character in the free version. In the paid version, you can also change the code indenter's code so it behave like what you want (although I never did that and it might be a bit involved).
John
46 posts
@mrmixer thank you very much for the detailed explanation! That clears things up.