4coder»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Question concerning potential longevity of the project
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
This is a question for Allen. Allen, I was just wondering what your current thoughts are on how long you anticipate to keep working on the project, roughly speaking? I only ask because, like Casey, I am considering using this editor for the foreseeable future and I know you are only a single developer. If you were to stop development for it would you possibly consider giving an option to license out the source for anyone willing to pay? Or would you consider making the project open source? I would assume, if anything, it would be the former but figured I would ask so I can make a better informed decision. Thank you for all your work on this.
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
Not Allen, obviously, but as far as I can tell, the entire code base IS available when you purchase the editor on Itch.io. Though I guess Allen himself would be the only one to say if this is true or not, as I have no way of being sure of this.
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
Edited by Ryan Fleury on
No, the only source code that is packaged with the bought version of 4coder is that exposed to the custom layers. The core code isn't available right now.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
I intend to protect the interests of users first and foremost. If I do put 4coder down for good I will open source everything.

For extra insurance, I will open source old major versions of 4coder when I am no longer working on them as well, maybe not right away but after not much time. For instance when 4.1.0 is ready, I will probably set a time to open source the last version of 4.0.X in 6-12 months.

I do sell closed-source licenses already. If you emailed me about this recently I haven't responded because I am currently locked out of the email, I will respond once I've recovered the account.

Jason
235 posts
Awesome. Thank you very much for your dedication and hard work.