4coder»Forums
2 posts
4coder - Unreal Engine 4.
Edited by Vextium on Reason: Initial post
Does anyone have a way to use 4coder with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4)?
Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
What do you mean exactly ? What do you want to be able to do ? (Not that I would have an answer, but the question is pretty vague).
2 posts
I don't want to use Visual Studio for Unreal Engine, it slows my PC, and I got a semi-beefy computer (Windows), so that a problem, since Unreal Engine needs Visual Studio to compile the code, but Unreal Engine can work with other IDES/Emacs, this a tutorial for CLion: https://youtu.be/NHit3erl4W0 But I can't a find a tutorial for 4coder. (I already have a separate debugger by the way).
Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
You can do the method at the end of the video where he says you can change the code with any editor and than use the compile button in the unreal editor. But that won't show you the error messages in 4coder.

When he shows how to use Clion, unreal generates a cmake file. You could install cmake and try to launch that file from 4coder.

The cmake file contains a list of configurations that are calls to bat file (seen around the 10 minutes mark) Epic provides with the unreal editor. You might try to launch those with right parameters. Something like
"C:\program files\epic games\ue_4.20\engine\build\batchfiles\build.bat" ProjectName Win64 DebugGame "-project=C:\path\to\project.uproject" -game -progress -buildscw VERBATIM

But I don't use Unreal so I don't know if any of those will work.
Matthew McLaurin
1 posts
I write computer code sometimes, which is sort of fun.
So unfortunately the answer here is "Yes you can do it, but I probably wouldn't want to try".

At least on Windows, UE4 is really built around Visual Studio. It's possible to build project files for other IDEs, but support is limited, to say the least.

I think your best bet is to try to use the Linux Cross-Compiler, which I believe will force you into using GCC/Clang, but which does generate CMAKE or MAKE files. To enable this, you'll want to open up an existing project (or go digging in the engine INI files) and enable the plugin. The settings dropdown should have a button for "Plugins", and the one you want is in the "Programming" section. It's called "Linux Only Cross-Compiler" or something like that. Theoretically you can enable that and disable the Visual Studio integration plugin, which should do the trick.

You should then be able to find the .uproject file for a given project, right click it, and press "Generate Project Files" (or some other such button). For more info, check out the docs here.

It's worth noting that you lose a lot of mostly valuable functionality this way though. The big one is that as slow as it is, intellisense is somewhat of a necessity when working in UE4 - the engine is practically built around the assumption that code/type completion is there to hold your hand.

Another downside is that there are plenty of weird bugs with the VS build system, and almost certainly some weirder ones with the linux/gcc build tools. When you have trouble, there will be zero existing support, and unfortunately, everyone you ask for help will say "go build it with VS and then come back".

So I'm fairly certain it's possible, if annoying to set up; But don't let that stop you!