4coder»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Current best practice to navigate to functions definitions?
Edited by Jason on
I just implemented a simple way to read a type name found under my cursor and display it's definition in the next panel. I was wondering if anyone has implemented a way to mimic this behavior but with function definitions? That is, navigate your cursor to a function name, hit say 'F10' and have 4coder pull up the function definition in other panel window? If not, what's the current quickest way to display or jump to a function definition? I've tried to use 'jump_to_definition' but that doesn't seem to work very well (doesn't list all functions in a buffer, only some)
Alexey
16 posts
Function, type, and macro definitions are all listed in the code index, which is asynchronously build on any code changes. See 4coder_code_index.h/cpp for implementation. All definitions are stored per-file both as a signly-linked-list and an array.

boagz57
I've tried to use 'jump_to_definition' but that doesn't seem to work very well (doesn't list all functions in a buffer, only some)

There are a few small bugs in the function parser, see: issue 118 on github.

To navigate straight to function definition you probably need to build a lister with jumps targets (thats what I did at least), because there can be a (?) maximum of two (/?) hits if in C (function declaration + function definition) and virtually unlimited hits in C++ because of overloads. This can be built by hacking the implemetation of jump_to_definition.
Jason
235 posts
aolo2
There are a few small bugs in the function parser, see: issue 118 on github.

Ah, awesome, that fixed that issue. Thanks for the info and suggestions. I will use them to try and get things working.