4coder»Forums
Max
16 posts
Trouble getting started with customization
Edited by Max on Reason: Initial post
Hi, I have recently begun using 4coder and it seems really cool so far!

I have been trying to customize 4coder, but have been running into a few problems. I keep running into an error that says: "Did not find a library for the custom layer.", whenever I try to run 4coder after recompiling with a custom layer.

I have found a few tutorials about getting into customizations and have been trying to follow the main one on the wiki. I have duplicated 4coder_default_bindings.cpp and changed its name "custom_bindings.cpp". I then try to run buildsuper_x64-win.bat (my machine is 64 bit), while passing "custom_bindings.cpp" and it seems to work. I don't get any errors, and a "custom_4coder.dll" and "custom_4coder.pdb" file are both generated in the same directory as 4coder.

I am not sure what is causing the "Did not find a library for the custom layer." error as it seems that the custom_4coder.dll exists in the folder and I am pretty sure I am building it for the right machine.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Does 4coder works out of the box (from a new installation) ?
If you delete custom_4coder.dll from a fresh installation and call the buildscript, does it still works ?
Are there any space, parenthesis or special character in the path where you installed 4coder ?
Is the new dll (custom_4coder.dll) in the same folder as 4ed.exe ? (Not in the custom/bin folder).

Which version number are you using ?

If you're using 4.1.8, could you try running from the command line with
4ed -L > log.txt

To produce a startup log ?

Could you share your custom layer file and how you build it ?

I haven't updated to 4.1.8 yet, so the wiki article might not be up to date (from a very quick look I think it should be OK though).
Max
16 posts
Hi! Thanks for the response!

I got it working. It looks like when I called buildsuper_x64-win.bat, it was generating the custom_4coder.dll in the bin folder. I moved it to the folder with the exe and it started working. I thought I had checked that it was being generated in the right place, but apparently I had not.

Thank you for your help!
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Edited by Simon Anciaux on Reason: typo
In the getting started article it's recommended to create a build.bat file in the root directory so that if you launch it from the root directory the dll will be created at the correct location.