4coder»Forums
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Intro to the 4coder Forums
Edited by Andrew Chronister on
Hi there folks, now that 4coder is going to live on this fantastic website, I figure I might as well start taking advantage of these forums. Obviously the site is still new, so if there is a way organize types of threads, I do not know what it is yet. For instance I'd like to make this sticky since I am going to explain how we're going to try to take advantage of these forums now.

I get a lot of bug reports, feature requests, and general questions at the 4coder email, which is fine, but I would like to start moving general questions to the threads. Right now I cannot really make an "issues" or "ticket" type forum here, as far as I can tell, and I think bug reports and feature requests would be a bit spammy for a forum. Still for general questions from people trying to use and customize 4coder I getting questions out there so that we can develop an archive of questions and their answers/discussions will be useful. Plus if you discover interesting ways to do 4coder customizations this seems like a great place to share such tips.

So to sum it up, here are the types of things I'd like to start handling on the forum (for any X and Y that form sentences relevant to 4coder):
1. Questions like "How do I do X?" or "Does the customization layer support Y?"
2. Cool discoveries such as "you can achieve X in a customization if you use Y!"

Thanks everyone, and happy coding!

Mikkel
57 posts
So you're probably here to find some information about what I've done, what I am doing and what sort of person I am right? well... Good luck!
You could split it into sub-forums for feature requests, bug reports, custom and general?
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
I can't figure out how to do subforums yet, and I think a forum is just not quite right for bug reports. A feature request forum might be fine though.

But for bug reports I really want the ability to check them off as "addressed" so that they don't stay on top when they're finished and push real bugs that haven't been addressed down so I would prefer not to shoehorn that into a forum.
Jeroen van Rijn
248 posts
A big ball of Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey _stuff_
Allen, HMH's subforums exist because I imported them. There's no exposed option on the project editor page yet to edit/add these things yet. They're pretty high up on the wishlist for after launch, though.

If you want I can add them programmatically before then.

As for bug reports, I'd use issues over at our GitLab.
Mikkel
57 posts
So you're probably here to find some information about what I've done, what I am doing and what sort of person I am right? well... Good luck!
Yeah Gitlab issue will probably be the way to go until we get someone to make a handmade issue tracker ;P
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Yeah I figured I would do issues on gitlab. I don't need subforums that badly, I was just explaining to Mikkel why I hadn't already done that. I'll just wait for them to be added to the settings or whatever.
Mikkel
57 posts
I still think you should buy 4coder.church or 4coder.market and use that as some sort of hosting of different _customs :P
Ideal
5 posts
When will the 4coder be released as opensource?
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
When I am dead, or my company is otherwise dissolved, the code will be opensourced so that users can continue to use and upgrade 4coder.
Jeroen van Rijn
248 posts
A big ball of Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey _stuff_
Mr4thDimention
When I am dead, or my company is otherwise dissolved, the code will be opensourced so that users can continue to use and upgrade 4coder.

Indeed. We - handmade.network - are working on 501(c)(3) non-profit recognition. It's expected that this'll take a year or so. We've offered to take the 4coder source in escrow for Allen when that process is completed, such that we can release the source upon certain circumstances.
Michael Cameron
31 posts
Mr4thDimention

Any likelihood of _shared_ source (full source, not just the extension APIs) for paying customers once it's finished but before you or your company are defunct? or alternately an opensource buyout at that point? (similar to blender)

It's certainly great having the subscription model for now while it's being heavily developed and it's already shaping up really well compared to other editors =) I'm just hesitant at the idea of becoming too reliant on tools I don't have the source for so I'm curious what it's future looks like.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
chronokun
Mr4thDimention

Any likelihood of _shared_ source (full source, not just the extension APIs) for paying customers once it's finished but before you or your company are defunct? or alternately an opensource buyout at that point? (similar to blender)

It's certainly great having the subscription model for now while it's being heavily developed and it's already shaping up really well compared to other editors =) I'm just hesitant at the idea of becoming too reliant on tools I don't have the source for so I'm curious what it's future looks like.

Yes, actually I've already set this up now, although Casey is currently my only customer. When I make a "release" I will switch to a different model with a free version similar to the current $1 tier, and year long subscriptions (in the sense that you get updates for a year, not that you are limited to one year of use) with an option for getting the source.
Michael Cameron
31 posts
Mr4thDimention
chronokun
Mr4thDimention

Yes, actually I've already set this up now, although Casey is currently my only customer. When I make a "release" I will switch to a different model with a free version similar to the current $1 tier, and year long subscriptions (in the sense that you get updates for a year, not that you are limited to one year of use) with an option for getting the source.

Awesome =)